Saturday, August 6, 2016

Things I've learned from my first convention

About a month ago, I attended my first ever convention, Connecticon to hear about all of my blunders and adventures, check out my previous post. I learned so much during my weekend away in Hartford, some ste things people don't even really warn you about. So here are some of the things that I learned!


Make sure your videos are recorded with sound

I recorded a lot of videos throughout the convention of panels and events on my phone. Unfortunately none of them had sound!!! This was a huge disappointment for me.

 Plan!

Plan everything out! From what time you'll wake up, when you need to get to the convention. How long it will take you to get your costume on, even how long you think your morning crap will take. Planning is very important, it will keep you from being rushed and will keep you from stressing. I was rushed both Friday asnd Saturday having not budgeted a better amount of time to get ready.

Don't be shy about asking for pictures

I was very shy the first day...there is no need to be! Just about everyone wants you to take pictures of their costume! Just about everyone I encountered was excited and glad that I asked. Plus, it felt amazing when a few people excitedly stopped me for pictures or recognized who I was supposed to be.

Ask permission to take picture

Don't just snap someone's picture - it is rude. I made the mistake of taking a picture of something in the dealer room and forgot to ask permission beforehand. I felt terrible about it!!!

Bring plenty of money

THIS! I had maybe $50 to spend in the dealer room for the entire weekend. There were so many things I wanted but didn't have the money to buy. Many vendors also tend to be overpriced. Plan and budget months ahead of the convention you will attend. Don't ask your parent(s) to borrow money two weeks before like I did.


Look at everything before buying

There are so many things! It is thee worst to have spent all of your money and therm find something you really want. Some vendors also have markdowns on the very last day.

Buy things you want badly on the first day

Most things, especially artwork will sell out fast. So anything you know you definitely want, buy it as soon as you see it.

Bring plenty of food and water

To the convention and your hotel room. Room service, takeout and even hotel restaurants are really expensive! If you bring your own snacks and meals you'll save a lot of money. Whenever I'm at a big event, I often forget to eat and don't eat most of the day. If you're like me, pack some granola bars or something. I packed granola bars and fruit rollups in my backpack each day and it really was a lifesaver. Pack plenty of water, water at conventions is expensive. Luckily there were water coolers to refill my bottles in the conference rooms

There is a sense of community

I never suspected the sense of community I would feel - both at the convention and even at the hotel. It was amazing! As someone with social anxiety I have a hard time with crowds and I have s difficult time talking to strangers. I found myself talking to random people as lot. Everyone was really cool, I didn't encounter a single asshole! People of all different sizes, races, genders and sexuality were there cosplaying. No one judged them! There were no rude stares or comments. Everyone was peaceful and mostly kind to one another.

You will get no sleep

Something else I didn't anticipate - you will not get any sleep during a convention. Typically convention centers stay open late and have events into the night. By the time you head back to the hotel you most likely need a shower and need to eat. You also will be too wound up from the excitement of the day to sleep. Be prepared to stay up late each night and wake up early in the morning so that you have ample time to get ready before leaving. As much as I loved it, I was ready for con to be over by mid-day Saturday so I could go home and sleep.

You most likely will have a sore throat by the end

You may lose your voice or upset your throat during a con, especially if you ate cheering at events. My throat was very sore from the strain of yelling and screaming at the Cosplay Death Match. It wasn't comfortable by any means, and it didn't heal for nearly a week.

You will feel like shit after the con

Oh yes, you will feel horrible after a convention. There is the possibility you may catch a cold, being around so many people with possible questionable hygiene. Luckily, I didn't! You will be thoroughly exhausted by the end of the last day, and you probably won't eat a decent or healthy meal all weekend. You will be sore from all of the walking and whatever activities you get up to.

Bring ear plugs

Ear plugs are important, I wish I had thought to bring some with me. If you're at a loud event you need to protect your hearing. My friend who doesn't have any ear problems like me even had to plug his ears.

Aches galore!

At the end of each day you will ache. My feet didn't bother me so much, but my back and legs sure were sore. I was wise enough to bring some pain relief cream to help with it. It made a huge difference!

Don't be afraid to talk to people

A lot of people are just as shy or anxious as you may be. I have social anxiety and I was afraid to even approach and ask for pictures, but don't be. Everyone is really nice and people will start spontaneous conversations. Remember, everyone is just like you. They're all wonderful, geeky fanboys and fangirls.

You will eat like shit

You will eat like shit, most likely. Hotel room service and even hotel restaurants are very expensive. The Hilton's restaurant charged $20 for an all you can eat breakfast! You will most likely be eating fast food or takeout. If your convention center has as cafeteria, you most likely won't be finding healthy choices there.

Leave all the  drama at home

As much fun as I had, drama ruined a lot of my con. Don't start drama. Don't bring problematic or drama starting people with you. You want only positive, loving smd supportive people in your convention group. So when in doubt, don't bring the person.

I hope this helped any first time convention goers and that you can learn from this! I know that next year I will be much more prepared.

Xoxo

Heather Zombie

No comments:

Post a Comment