Thursday, November 5, 2015

My Thoughts on AHS: Hotel Thus Far

Note: This post was written before the most recent episode.



I'm going to be up front: this season isn't my favorite. Don't get me wrong, I do like it. It just hasn't hooked me as much as the past seasons and I'm not digging the whole detective story line. Half the time I feel like I'm watching CSI. I'm just not in love with it like I was with all of the past seasons. I feel like so much less has happened this season. Where's the horror???

Maybe it's because of the whole vampire thing, maybe because it is more psychological. I much prefer gore and straight out disturbing shit vs a psychological mind fuck.

I'm not only getting a "The Shining" vibe from the hotel and from John, our main character (he reminds me of Jack Torrence) but I'm also picking up on some Clockwork Orange influence.. Maybe it's just me but a lot of the scenery/set reminds me of the movie as well as some of the music.




I love how they fit in legendary serial killers. Mr. March is obviously based upon H.H. Holmes. I love that they included Aileen Woronos. And even a nod to Charlie Manson. They also included John Wayne Gacy, Jeffrey Dahmer, the Zodiac killer and Richie Ramirez. Serial killers fascinate me, it always baffles me how someone can kill another human. Which makes me a bit obsessed with the show Killer Kids. I thought it was really cool how they put little sort of easter eggs and facts about the serial killers into this particular episode.

 Lily Rabe is perfect as Aileen. Even down to little mannerisms. I am very impressed! Speaking of impressive, Lady Gaga's acting is wonderful.




I never doubted her, she went to a preforming arts school and learned to act way before she became a pop star. She is absolutely killing it! I love how into it she is getting too. If you follow her on any sort of social media you know what I'm talking about. I really hope she is in another season of the show. I would love to see her in another character. It definitely was a good move to put her in this season, it really helped to soften the blow of not having Jessica Lange.


I love seeing Sarah Paulson play a more evil and dark character. Her around children is literally me. I died when she did the thing with her teeth and looked at the little girl.  I should also mention that  Hypodermic Sally's hair reminds me of the Cynthia doll from Rugrats.



Okay, not an exact match. Hence why I said REMINDS me of. 



One thing I'm REALLY not cool with is the rape scene that happened in the first episode. I wasn't cool with it in the first season either. As a rape and molestation victim I can't handle seeing scenes like this. They aren't cool or funny. And I don't appreciate them being used at all. They're so unnecessary. I also would appreciate shows at least putting a trigger warning along with the other warnings. Some people have very bad reactions to these such triggers. I personally get not so fun flashbacks. Game of Thrones does the same shit and it really pisses me off.

Anyway, I do hope that this season gets some more action and more interesting. I really expected much more from this season. I'm also ready to see the characters that Ryan Murphy promised we would see check in from previous seasons. So far we have just seen the realtor from the first season.

For my fellow AHS fans, what are your thoughts so far on this season??

Xoxo

Stay creepy

No comments:

Post a Comment