Saturday, May 16, 2015

Home Made Petit Fours Recipe

Hiii everyone! 




I'm so happy that so many of you enjoyed my last post about my tea party. Thank you so much for reading! I was so very excited to share that post with all of my internet friends. I have a question for you all! I know this is a long shot for an answer, but which would you all prefer for the next fangirl post? A post about fanfiction or Korean dramas? I can't decide!!

Wow it has been way too long since I have posted a recipe! Since I had fun making petit fours for my tea party, I thought that I would share my recipe for it with you all! They seem complicated to make but trust me they're surprisingly easy once you figure out what you're doing. I did a lot of trial and error with a recipe I found online and I ended up making one of my own. 




They are the perfect tea snack and a great dessert. When I first started planning foods for my party, I absolutely insisted on making these. 

Here's what you'll need:

  • 1 pound cake
  • seedless Jam
  • mini cookie cutters
  • 2 bags of meltable chocolate in 2 different colors
  • Piping bag or candy making squeeze bottle 

For the pound cake: Many bakeries sell them. You want a whole, unsliced one. Entenmann's makes a good one and so does Sara Lee (this one you can find in the frozen dessert section). You can use any jam that you would like, as long as it's seedless. I went with raspberry. If I had made a larger batch at the time, I totally would have done blueberry as well.

First, take the pound cake out of its container. You will want to slice off the sides of it, to get rid of the sort of "crust" exterior. Next you want to cut slices horozontally across the cake (instead of vertically, which is how you normally would cut it). You want each slice to be about 1/4 inch thick. If it's a little thicker than that, no worries!

Take one of your pound cake slices, and begin cutting out little shapes with the mini cookie cutters. I used the Geometric Crinkle mini cookie cutter set from Wilton, and they were perfect.

I had to find a picture online of them, I couldn't find my own set to take a picture of it.


Do this with every slice until you are unable to cut more.

Once you have all of your shapes, you can begin to put together your inner cake part of the petit four. Take one of your little slices, put a layer of jam on top and top with another slice. If your slices are looking pretty thick, you can stop at 2 layers. This is what I did for my thicker pieces that ended up being around a half inch in thickness. If you stuck with thinner slices, go ahead and repeat the process so that you have 3 layers of the cake and 2 of the jam. Each Petit four should be no more than 1 inch thick. Once you have put them all together, set aside.

Here comes the fun part! Take one of your bags of chocolate and melt. When I melt chocolate, I use the double boiler method. I fill a pot with water and heat it on the stove at a low temp. I will then put a glass bowl on top and fill the bowl with the chocolate. As the water boils, the heat will melt the chocolate. It's important to keep the heat low, if it even gets to medium heat your chocolate can burn or the texture will at least be ruined. 

You will want to completely coat your petit four in chocolate. There were two methods that I used that worked. Both of which start by dipping the bottom of the cake into chocolate. From there you can choose to carefully roll the cake around in the chocolate until totally covered. Or you can put the cake onto a fork and pour chocolate using a large spoon or ladle on top. Once totally covered, set aside on a plate or cooking rack to cool and harden.

When all of your petit fours are covered, melt the second bag of chocolate like you did the first. Then either fill a pastry bag or a decorating squirt bottle (they look like this:



 ) with the chocolate. Now you can drizzle that chocolate or do whatever design you want on top of the petit fours.

When I made my petit fours, I used Wilton candy melts in light cocoa (Regular chocolate flavor) and Wilton candy melts in a green, vanilla flavor (AKA white chocolate). 

Many petit four recipes call for you to make a gounache or glaze....Don't do it!! I tried and ended up wasting an entire bag of beautiful blue candy melts. I was so lucky that I had gotten a spare bag of chocolate. The gounache I made just soaked into the cake. Covering with the chocolate works best and it actually helps to seal in the cake's freshness. Also keep in mind that these don't have to look perfect since they are home made. Mine sure as hell didn't!

And there you have it! Now you can make petit fours. I already want to throw another tea party so that I have an excuse to make these again. They are that good! As always, if you end up trying out any of the recipes I have posted here please let me know how it works out! I would love to see a picture as well ^___^

Xoxo

Moon prism power, makeup! 

1 comment:

  1. These look nice. If I could, I'd make them. But no reason to.
    But if they were bigger, would they be Petit Fives?

    ReplyDelete