Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Review: Ruby Kisses Matte Lipstick

I love matte lipsticks. They are seriously my favorite, especially liquid to matte ones. For those that don't know, my favorite lipstick brand Lime Crime makes these amazing liquid to matte lipsticks called Velvetines. I probably own 10 of them. Either last year or earlier this year they came out with a new one - Pansy which is a beautiful royal purple color.

Purple is my favorite color. All of the purple lipsticks I owned were pink based and bright. While Pansy is blue based and deeper. I seriously fell in love with the color....but not the price tag! Velvetines are expensive. I used to order mine from Amazon but now it's very hard to get Lime Crime products on Amazon. Any time they get a velvetine in stock is sells out quickly. I refuse to buy directly from Lime Crime's website because of the many horror stories that I have heard. I also have been unable to buy one of Jeffree Star's liquid lipsticks (which I hear are just as amazing..and you get more product for about the same price...I want one so badly!).



I was pretty bummed not being able to get this color. Then one day I was browsing online and came across this lipstick called Purple Affair by Ruby Kisses. It isn't identical to Pansy...but it's a beautiful blue based purple! Even better, it's matte! I was so ecstatic that I immediately bought it.



The color was just as beautiful in person, but application was not fun. This lipstick goes on pretty patchy and you have to layer it a few times to get full opacity.  It also sort of bleeds. That was pretty disappointing for me as someone who is spoiled by Lime Crime's and MAC's very opaque formulas.


Above, is the application straight from the tube. Yes, I am fully aware that the lighting/lipstick makes my skin look grey here. Hey, now I look like Frankenstein's monster from Penny Dreadful!

Who watches Penny Dreadful? I love it so much. It's creepy and Victorian, which is pretty awesome in my book. They also have characters from stories of that era. Such as Victor Frankenstein, Dorian Gray and some characters from Dracula. I LOVE Dorian *^* he's sexy as hell.

Anyway, enough fangirling. Back to this review!  I don't mind all that much having to layer the color on because it is gorgeous!! I would recommend applying it with a lip brush, even warming the tube up by holding it in your hand for 30 seconds or so before application.  Each time I applied it directly from the tube, it was kind of messy.

 These matte lipsticks retail for about $2.99 and really I can forgive all faults for that price.

The lipstick feels super dry when you're putting it on from the tube. But once it's on it is very light weight. I didn't feel that super caked matte lip feeling that some matte lipsticks have. I honestly didn't feel like I really had anything on my lips.

The longevity was so-so. I did a kiss test (I kissed the top of my cat's head hehe) and there was absolutely zero transfer surprisingly! But after eating and drinking, towards the end of the day I noticed that some of the lipstick flaked off. So this isn't a lipstick you can apply and forget about all day. I often find myself reaching for my Velvetines when I go out because I don't have to worry about re-applying.


✩What I liked✩
  • The color
  • How it feels on the lips
  • The packaging

✩What I didn't like✩

  • The opacity
  • The difficulty to apply
  • Lipstick flaking off after drinking/possibly just after time.


✩Final Grade✩

C

zwani.com myspace graphic comments
            

Although I love the color and the matte-ness of this lipstick, the opacity is annoying to deal with as well as the application. I haven't found (besides Pansy) another color quite like this yet, so I may be stuck with the application problems until I give in and get Pansy. This isn't a horrible quality lipstick, but it also isn't the best quality. 

XOXO

Moon Prism power, makeup! 

1 comment:

  1. Cute Bunny. Nice review. The picture is nice. But the tone of it is ok. Grey might fit you. heh heh

    ReplyDelete