Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Steven Universe + My weekend

Hello my dears! Today I was planning to put up a post about my birthday party. Sadly, I can't write that post. I had to postpone my party because I was very very sick this weekend. I don't even think I felt this sick when I had pneumonia as a kid. I had a very bad reaction to a medication and my body just sort of freaked the fuck out. I was very sick on my birthday as well, which totally ruined it and made it a horrible day. Trust me, I was very upset. I couldn't do anything but sit on the couch and watch anime. 
But I did have company! It would have been 10 times worse if I were ill and alone on my birthday. One of my friends slept over the night before and we hung out, watching Sailor Moon. The night before (before I got really sick) was a lot of fun. She spoiled the crap out of me and gave me some Lush products, a tea infuser, some Teavanna tea, scones and a Pumpkin Spice spray as a gift. I normally dislike anything pumpkin flavored/scented but I am ADDICTED to the scent of this spray!! 




One of my other close friends was very sweet and surprised me with a huge vase of flowers on Sunday. He originally planned for me to use it as a center piece at my birthday party and he carefully picked the flowers. My friends are seriously the best <3. 


[One of my roses. It's perfect *^*, roses are my favorite] 



Fear not, I am doing SO much better than I was over the weekend. I am still sick and fighting off the bit of the bad reactions but each day I'm slowly getting better and more towards normal. 




Although I was extremely sick on Saturday (it was the absolute worst on Saturday. I felt like I was going to die and nearly went to the hospital), I did a prom makeup job. Apparently sticking it out makes me hardcore. Even sick, I still managed to make my client and her mother very happy. I heard today that her mother is still raving about how great a job I did and so many girls at the prom complimented my client on her makeup. I feel so proud!! 

I feel like I worked three times as hard and I went above and beyond what I normally do (i.e using some of my personal products.) But as a makeup artist, customer service/a happy customer is my #1 priority. I feel like that is my biggest selling point, aside from being super cleanly with my tools and product. 



You're probably wondering why I didn't cancel when I was so sick. As a makeup artist, people rely on you. If you cancel on them last minute they're fucked and you could possibly have ruined their big day. It also is horrible for business. So I stuck it out and did my very best. I don't have any pictures for you all, sadly. My client was under aged and I didn't ask for permission to post pictures of her on this blog so I wouldn't feel right. I did however do this: an eye look with nude pink shades on the lid, with a dark smokey purple in the crease and a very subtle winged eyeliner. Natural, lightly shaded brows. A natural looking but flawless face. No lip color, light barely there blush and some highlighter.



Anyway - to the point of today's post! I have become obsessed with a show called Steven Universe. It is a Cartoon Network cartoon. It really is such a fantastic show, that I needed to share my love of it.




When the show first premiered, I wasn't really into it. But some friends urged me to give it another try and I love it!! I binge watched the show over the course of a few weeks and I'm totally obsessed. It has definitely definitely another one of my happy shows (my happy shows are shows that I love, that I watch when I need comfort.).

Steven Universe is about a little boy named Steven. He's something called a gem, well he's a half gem. His mother Rose was a gem and his father Greg is a human. A gem is basically an awesome alien with super powers, all with a gemstone imbedded into their body to give them these powers. Steven lives with the Crystal Gems who are Amethyst, Garnet and Pearl. They are committed to protecting Earth from other gems. 




Steven's mother was basically like family to the Crystal Gems, she was their leader and lived with them. I'm pretty sure that she took care of them all, like a big sister. She had to give up her physical form in order for Steven to be born. He actually possesses Rose's gem, he was born with Rose's gem as his bellybutton. So being a gem, he went to live with the Crystal Gems. His dad Greg is still in the picture but he's a washed up rockstar that lives in his van and runs a car wash. He's really nervous around anything to do with "gem stuff" and the Crystal Gems still blame him for getting with Rose, which lead to her death.



Garnet, Amethyst and Pearl....and Steven! (Haha, little joke from the theme song) live in Beach city which is a boardwalk city by the ocean. There are many different characters such as Ronaldo Fryman who is obessed with the odd things that occur in Beach City (pretty much always caused by the gems) and writes a blog (Keep Beach City Weird) on them.




 There's also his younger brother PeeDee who is always stuck working at their family's french fry shop on the board walk.




 There's Sadie and Lars, Steven's older friends that work at the donut shop. Sadie has feelings for Lars but Lars is usually oblivious. She does so many things for him but he usually screws her over or hurts her feelings in return.


[Lars, Steven, Sour Cream, Jenny and Buck] 



There are the popular teens that Steven hangs out with sometimes: Sour Cream, Jenny and Buck. Sour Cream is obsessed with raving and he often complains of his step dad who wants him to become a fisherman. Jenny's family owns Fish Stew Pizza. She's very fun loving ,mostly caring about hanging out with her cool friends and she hates working at her family's shop. Buck is Mayor Dewey's son, he certainly has issues with his dad. Otherwise he's usually really relaxed and chill. Lars is always trying to hang out with the popular kids and often ditching Sadie to do so.






There's this weird little kid named Onion, his step brother is Sour Cream. He doesn't really talk. To me he's kind of a little shit.






There is also Connie, Steven's best friend and love interest. I love Connie so much. She is a very intelligent young girl. She's opinionated, shy and a feminist. She's dorky and book loving. She is so much more mature than her age. She just makes me proud, I'm glad to have a character like her represented on this show.


                      [Lapis Lazuli]



Of course there are other gems such as Peridot, Lapis Lazuli, Jasper, Sapphire and Ruby.


Steven Universe has everything pretty much. Action, comedy, romance and drama. One episode can be really funny and seemingly pointless while the next is action packed with gem fighting. But it's such a fun show you'll even love the seemingly pointless episodes. It can be very serious at times and deep which I absolutely love! It deals with some important and emotional topics. It goes where other shows are afraid to. 





There is a lesbian couple on the show - Saphhire and Ruby. When they fuse together, they become Garnet. A fusion is when two gems combine their bodies to become one. It's often used in battle to become more powerful. But Saphire and Ruby love each other so much that they can't stand to be apart and they are one being. It's so terribly romantic.




                         [Opal]


There are some other fusions in the show. I love the episode where Steven fuses with Connie to become Stevonnie. Amethyst and Pearl fuse to create Opal. I love Opal, she looks so graceful and beautiful *^*.



There are references in the show - quite a few anime ones. Some of the music reminds me of the music from Studio Ghibli films. This show also does have some music, which to me was expected because the creator Rebecca Sugar used to write some of the music for Adventure Time. The music is great though. I LOVE the Lapis Lazuli song Steven sings in the episode The Message.





Rose Quartz (AKA Rose, Steven's mom) is my favorite character. She was such a badass yet sweet and loving. Plus she's majorly gorgeous *^*. Steven never got to meet her and since she is dead (though some people theorize that she's not dead, just isn't in a physical form.) we only see her through flashbacks. I love whenever we hear tidbits about her and see her. My favorite episode is a recent one called Story for Steven where Greg tells Steven how he met Rose.

So there you have it! I do watch some American cartoons, not just anime. I also love watching Adventure Time, Bob's Burgers (one of my favorites), American Dad and Regular Show. I could probably do an entire post on my love for Adventure Time. If you haven't seen SU I highly recommend checking it out. Episodes are only 15 minutes long (unless you are watching online, then it's more like 12 minutes without commercials).

Xoxo,
Moon prism power makeup!

P.S: If the formatting on this post is a little wonky, I'm sorry! I had to post via app rather than my computer. 

3 comments:

  1. Glad you're doing better and did really well with that person.

    Also glad you're talking about this show. I was one who made you watch it wasn't I? heh heh But it really is great. You need to try some songs. Or I can try some on/for you. heh heh

    It's just the best show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I love SU so much *^*. It was you and Vicky, Vicky is actually going to cosplay as Rose! Eh, it depends on if I ever get back to recording songs again.

      Delete
    2. Ha. I knew it. And that should be great. Maybe I could learn some of the songs. See what you do if I could sing them to you. heh

      Delete