Tuesday, September 22, 2015

My Halloween Playlist

Hello my kawaii zombies! Hehe what better to call my readers than that? Next in my Halloween countdown series is this! I'm trying extremely hard to queue Halloween themed posts for you guys regularly.

Next to the horde of classical and JPop music I listen to, I favor lots of darker creepy styles of music as well. Metal, punk, Alternative, ect. From much of this music stems my favorite Halloween music. Because let's be real, the heavier side of music makes the best spooky stuff. But don't worry, not every song on here is heavy ^_^. Anyway, here are some of my favorite songs for the Halloween season. My playlist on my Itunes is entirely too huge to list everything.



Also - I created a separate Spotify account just for this blog so I can post playlists for you guys more easily! Sadly, Spotify doesn't have everything so if a song isn't on the playlist...there's good old youtube! Here is the one corresponding to this post, so you can listen to the songs as you read. If the embedded playlist isn't showing, you can listen at this link: http://open.spotify.com/user/kawaiizombieblog/playlist/4TPqKsW6u5IGp2UeZrEyU2 .


Any song by Nox Arcana

No, I refuse to list a single song from Nox Arcana. Because truly I love every single one of their songs, especially for Halloween. Nox Arcana is a duo of two composers, Joseph Vargo and William Piotrowski. They're my favorite composers next to Yuki Kajiura. They ambient, creepy horror themed orchestral music. It is the most unique music. Each album they release has a theme, they have done themes such as a haunted carnival (Carnival of Lost Souls), vampires (Transylvania), a haunted mansion (Darklore Manor), a haunted pirate ship (Phantom of the High Seas) and even the dark side of fairy tales (Grimm Tales) . My favorite album of their is Shadow of the Raven, an album based upon the works of Edgar Allan Poe. Being a huge Poe fan, I absolutely love it. They really captured the atmosphere of each story.

Their music I guarantee will frighten trick r treaters or make your party guests uneasy. I can't listen to their songs in a dark room. Yes me, the queen of creep. And even some songs on Phantom of the High Seas heavily creepy me out. I can not recommend them enough for your Halloween playlist. For this post, I included Haunted off of The Dark Tower album. Sadly Spotify doesn't have all of their albums ;____;

The Misits - Halloween

To me, this is the essential Halloween song. But really any song by The Misfits is great for Halloween. Like Astro Zombies, Dig Up Her Bones, Scream, Last Caress and Mommy Can I Go Out and Kill Tonight to name a few.

The Misfits are a horror punk band based in New Jersey. They formed in the 70s and have gone through various lineup changes and different singers. Glenn Danzig and Michale Graves being the best, though (Don't kill me!) Graves is my favorite.

Aiden - White Wedding

The original by Billy Idol is great for Halloween too, but Wil Francis, the lead singer of Aiden just makes it sound more sinister. Aiden has some other good songs for Halloween like Scavengers of the Damned, Cry Little Sister (Cover from the Lost Boys song) and We Sleep Forever (which was featured on the Dead Silence soundtrack and made a music video with clips from the movie). They also have a cover of Die Die My Darling by The Misfits

Bobby Boris Pickett - Monster Mash

This is another essential song for me. I have been listening to this song ever Halloween since I was a little kid. I have fond memories from elementary school, where every Halloween we would dress in our costumes and dance to this song in the cafeteria.

Spooky Scary Skeletons REMIX 

The famed tumblr song! It's seriously perfect for Halloween. I have no idea who sings this but it reminds me of that band Steam Powered Giraffe.

Sleeping with Sirens - Dead Walker Texas Ranger

I became slightly obsessed with this song last Halloween season. I love Sleeping with Sirens and they came out with this song a few years ago specifically for Halloween. It's perfect and it captures that spooky horror movie

Escape the Fate - Zombie Dance

As this song entails - it is a zombie themed song. The music and the lyrics fit really well with the theme of Halloween. This is perfect for a zombie themed party or a Halloween masquerade.

Avenged Sevefold - A Little Piece of Heaven

This song is great, though warning definitely NOT for the young ones. It's a song about murder and necrophilia in the best way possible. It tells a story about zombie lovers. A man kills his girlfriend when she refuses his marriage proposal...and then he fucks her corpse and regrets killing her. So she comes back as a zombie and kills him. Then they get married and kill people. You know, typical love story. They also have an animated music video for this song. It is such an odd song and I love the theatrical stylization. Very Oingo Boingo.


The Birthday Massacre - Blue

This song doesn't immediately scream Halloween nor do the lyrics. The best possible way I can describe this song is by saying it's like Hello Kitty and a demon fighting for control of the song.

Calabrese - Ressurection

This is another horror punk band with a bunch of horror themed songs. This song captures the feel of the old creature feature movies.

The Creepshow - Zombies Ate Her Brain & Halloween

The Creepshow is a psychobilly band. What's psychobilly? A punk/rockabilly/jazz band that plays songs about horror related subjects. I love this band so much. Halloween is their cover of The Misfits song and it's just as wonderful.

Both of these songs are staples. Sadly Spotify doesn't have either one, so I added a different song to the Spotify playlist.

RHPS - Over At The Frankenstein Place

I just HAD to include a song from Rocky Horror! The Rocky Horror Picture show is my favorite movie. Over At The Frankenstein Place is a perfect song for Halloween. Also - this song is the reason why on pretty much every website I have a profile on, it says I live "Over at the Frankenstein Place".

This is Halloween - Marilyn Manson & Danny Elfman

This is a Halloween classic. I love the original from Nightmare Before Christmas

Fright Ranger - Oh Oh Sexy Vampire (Justin B Remix)

This song is pretty cheesy...but I happen to like the cheese! It's a cute, cheesy fun Halloween song.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban OST - Double Trouble

This is the song that the choir with the toads in the 3rd Harry Potter movie sings. The lyrics are taken from William Shakespeare's Macbeth, from the witches. As a Shakespeare fan and with Macbeth being  my favorite work of his, I love this song. And it totally is perfect for Halloween.

New Years Day - Tombstone

New Years Day is one of my favorite bands. They have a lot of horror themed and dark songs such as Last Great Love Story with lyrics such as "So take my hand, take my love,take my life. We'll dance with the ghosts with the souls of the night." And songs like Angel Eyes. But I chose this particular song for this list for a reason!

This song is like a perfect song for a slow dance on Halloween night. It's romantic and macabre at the same time with lyrics such as "Tie the knot, tie the noose. Here we lie in love in truth in a coffin built for two. When all that's left is skin and bones, I'll still have love for you".

Lola Blanc - Love Potion No 9

This is a cover of the classic song, I'm unsure of who originally sings it. I love this version though. It is a poppier version, it was used with one of my favorite makeup brands, Lime Crime when they released their Serpentine and Poisonberry lipsticks.

Rob Zombie - Living Dead Girl

Let's be real, pretty much any Rob Zombie song can be played for Halloween. He is a horror master in music as well as films. My favorites of his for Halloween are Living Dead Girl and Dragula.

Creature Feature - A Gorey Demise

Creature Feature is this goofy horror band. This is the only song of theirs that I'm familiar with. Mostly because this song is based upon Edward Gorey's work. Plus...my name is in it!! "H is for Heather who was sealed in a tomb" hmm...sounds fitting.

Get Scared - If Only She Knew Voodoo Like I Do & Setting Yourself Up For Sarcasm

I love Get Scared, especially their earlier work. These songs from their first EP are my favorite and do have a bit of a spooky feel to them. "Sarcasm" has lyrics like "You could be the corpse then I could be the killer. If I could be the devil, you would be the sinner."

Michael Jackson - Thriller

If Thriller isn't on your Halloween playlist, then your playlist sucks. This is a classic. It's fun, it embodies the spirit. And Vincent Price does the narration in it! The music video is badass, what's not to love??


There you go my dears! I tried to keep this from being too long but I think I failed hahaha. I even narrowed down this list from an even bigger one!! There are too many good songs to list! Though many of you probably don't have the same taste in music with me, I hope you were able to find a few gems to get you into the spirit!

I will leave you with a few honorable mentions:
Lauren O'Connell - House of the Rising Sun, Bowling For Soup - Lil' Red Riding Hood, Ghost Town - You're So Creepy and IAMX - Bernadette

Any sort of list or content you would like to see during my Halloween countdown?? Comment and let me know! Until next time!

Xoxo

Stay creepy

5 comments:

  1. Wow. This is you in a playlist. Great selections. This will help a lot of people at parties. Also Yay! a new update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha pretty much. Thanks! I'm hoping it does, I know it helped contribute to the atmosphere of my parties.

      Delete
  2. The reminder of Spooky Scary Skeletons instantly brightened my day! Such a fun little tune lol. For a future list you should count down your favorite Halloween costumes! I bet you've seen/worn some great ones over the years :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaaay I'm so happy it brightened your day! Haha I love that song, I like to listen to it while I keep during the spooky season and dance around in my kitchen (horribly) it it xD. Thanks for the idea!!! I sadly don't have many pictures of my old costumes, most are in storage but I do have a few I can post! If you have any other ideas let me know, because I'm a bit stumped other than DIY projects and movie lists at the moment.

      Delete