Monday, October 5, 2015

Eclipse & Non-Scary Halloween Films

Hi everyone! I hope the formatting of this post is alright! I am posting it from Blogger's shitty app since I fell off of a ladder Saturday night while hanging some Halloween lights. My back is still killing me, I'm confined to the couch so no computer for me. It was an old ladder that had been fixed once already. I reached too far and the ladder gave way and collapsed, taking me with it. I fell into the DVD cabinet in my living room and on top of a lamp shade. That sure was fun x___x. No worries though, my dears! I'm fine, just pretty sore in some places still. 

I meant to have this up last week but the past week was incredibly busy for me. I wanted to talk about a cool experience from last week and share another Halloween post! So they're being combine into this post.  I have a few  DIY decor posts on the way, it's just a matter of actually finishing these projects. So stay tuned for them! 

Sunday night  of last week (September 27) was a very special night. Not only was it a supermoon and not only did we have a super moon eclipse, but we had a blood moon eclipse as well.

For those that don't know, a super moon is a larger brighter moon. A blood moon eclipse is an eclipse that follows a regular one where the moon starts to turn red. It has to do with the position of the sun. I'm a total nerd for these types of things so I was outside watching.

There actually have been a series of blood moon eclipses since April of last year. I have gone out during every single one of these while braving rain, wind, asthma attacks, the cold and annoying clouds to see the blood moon. Every single time save for last night, it was either raining or very cloudy. Damn New England weather!!




Which brings me to that sunday's adventure. I stood in my driveway and in the road of my street, watching the first part of the eclipse. I kept having to run back and forth because of the moon's position changing. I actually stood outside and watched the entire first eclipse - I watched the moon start at full and then disapear. I must have been out there for an hour and a half just staring at the sky. Time sort of disapeared.


My neighborhood can be wonderfully spooky at night. 

I did try to get pictures of it...but this was the best I could get -_-'. 



I tried 4 different cameras and could not capture the eclipse. The moon must have been too bright.

After a while my grandpa joined me. (My grandparents live next door to me, I should mention. )For once I explained something to him; telling him about the blood moon. We watched the eclipse through his binoculars.

As I watched the eclipse, I happened to see a single leaf fall slowly from a tree into the road. There wasn't any wind. I have never in my life felt so close to nature or so close to the moon. I even dragged my mom outside to watch. It was so beautiful and amazing. I couldn't believe that my neighbors (I could see their tv flashing in their window) would rather watch TV than to see the beauty that I was.

After the moon disapeared, my mom made my come inside for a while because the cold was aggrivating my lungs. After a while, Vicky Imessaged me and told me how red the moon was, so I ventured back outside. I went directly to my grandparents' yard to get a better view. I stopped, looked up at the sky and there it was.

  [Photo credit to a friend of Vicky's.]

               [Photo credit to Vicky]


I was astonished, it was so beautiful! And I was so happy I could finally see this wonderful sight. It was literally over a year in the making. The weathermen said it would be cloudy and possibly hard to see but it was clear as day right in the center of the sky.

I stood and watched for a while, even dragged my mom out of bed to see it. I stood for a good half hour staring at it and looking at the stars. The stars were so bright and beautiful. I just stood there thinking about how amazing the universe is and how we're only just a tiny spec in it. I thanked Mother Nature for allowing me to see the amazing sight. It really was breathtaking.

Now, we shall segue into the next part of this post: my top non-scary Halloween films! I realize that not everyone is a horror nut like me and many people get scared easily. So as requested by my friend Max, AKA Based Ryu (Hiiiii!!! :D) here is my list of family friendly Halloween films to get you into the spirit.

                     Hocus Pocus



I'm not going to bother to discuss this since I did in my last Halloween movie post. It is an absolute must see though!

        Nightmare Before Christmas



I have already discussed this one as well, it is a Halloween classic and belongs on this list as well. Jack Skellington is like the PG face of Halloween. 

                          Casper



I LOVE this movie! Yes, I'm talking about the one from the 90s with Christina Ricci. I was obsessed with Casper as a kid. Ghosts and Halloween, what's not to love? 

                       Beetlejuice



If you never saw this movie for Halloween I am so sorry. Your homework will be to go watch it!! This Tim Burton classic is about a couple named Barbara and Adam who are killed in a car accident and suddenly find themselves stuck in their beloved home as ghosts. Soon the yuppie Deetz family along with their goth daughter, Lydia move in and disturb the peace. Barbara and Adam are too tame to scare the family from their home, so they enlist the help of  bio exorcist Beetlejuice to drive them from their home. 

I've actually been stalking channels because I've been dying to watch this one lately (I don't own it ;____;) but it hasn't been on when I've been able to watch it. 

                      Corpse Bride



If you liked Nightmare Before Christmas, check this one out. Set in the Victorian era, a shy and clumsy young man named Victor is about to be married to a young lady named Victoria whom his parents arranged his marriage too. After fumbling and making mistake after mistake during the rehearsal he runs into the woods to practice his vows and accidentally finds himself married to the beautiful Emily...a corpse risen from the grave. 

                  Practical Magic



I love this movie so much!! It's about the women of the Owens family, who happen to be witches. A curse is placed upon their family that any man that falls in love with them is doomed to die. The main characters, Gillian and Sally are sisters that are incredibly close though both very different. They live with their eccentric aunts since their parents are dead. Sally is the more logical of the two and Gillian is the fun loving romantic. I don't want to say much more in fear of spoiling the movie for anyone that hasn't seen it! 

                   Frankenweenie



Another Tim Burton movie, this one was years and years in the making. In black and white and a throw back to the old monster movies Frankenweenie is about a boy who loses his beloved dog and brings him back to life. 

        Scooby Doo on Zombie Island



If you're a 90s kid, chances are you've caught this one on Cartoon Network during the Halloween season. This one is about the Mystery Inc gang reuniting after being split up and doing their own thing for a case. This case brings them to Moonscar Island where they hope to encounter a real ghost instead of a man in a mask. They soon stumble upon a dark secret which is more than they bargained for. 

This was a Halloween staple for me as a kid. I also high recommend 

Scooby Doo and the Witch's Ghost



 Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School 



and Scooby Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf'. 



                  Halloweentown



This is a Disney Halloween classic.  Ahh I miss the 90s Disney Channel original movies. They were so good!! This one is about a girl named Marni, her brother Dylan and sister Sophie who figure out that their grandmother is a witch and follows her to her home in Halloween town; where all of its inhabitants are monsters and a dark force is attacking them. 

Honorable mentions: 

Coraline 



and Edward Scissorhands.



There you have it! My eclipse adventures and some non scary Halloween movies so you all can enjoy this spooky season. Anything you want to see as part of my Halloween series? Comment and let me know! Stay tuned for more! 

Xoxo
Stay creepy 

3 comments:

  1. YES we totally have the same appreciation for the moon. I caught the super bloodmoon as I was leaving the gym that night and ended up standing there for what felt like a long time. Like you, I noticed that life was still in motion for everyone around me. I watched people pass without even sparing a glance at the big bloody peach in the sky. It'll be years until this happens again, I reckoned, yet still nobody cared to soak it in. Even my roommate gave a shrug when I came home and pointed it out to him. It felt like I'd enjoyed it by myself, but your post assures me I wasn't alone! You were right there with me, albeit many miles away. ^_^

    And thank you for the list! As you've decreed, Beetlejuice tops my to-do list, followed by Frankenweenie which looks really damn cute haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaay!! I'm so happy that you do! People can be so dumb. I've always felt so connected to the moon, and since I'm a wiccan I'll often go outside during a full moon for rituals. I just don't get how people don't find it fascinating.

      I absolutely was there with you ^__^. You're very welcome, I'm happy that you enjoyed the list! Omg I've been trying to catch Beetlejuice on HBO for a month and a half now. EVERY SINGLE damn time it's on I either miss it or I'm not able to watch it. So frustrating!!! Frankenweenie is awesome! If you like it, you may like Paranorman as well.

      Delete
  2. The Super Blood Moon Eclipse was something alright. I know you'd love it.

    I had Casper. Good movie. Made a cartoon on Fox. Which I watched.
    I have seen the Beetlejuice cartoon. On Nick. All of it of course.
    Zombie Island and Witch's Ghost. Nice music. Do you like the Hex Girls?
    Ghoul School. Best know for the girls in it.
    Reluctant werewolf. That movei with Shaggy's girlfriend and a monster Wacky Race.
    Saw all of those at least once.

    Glad to see this list. Oddly, this is the list that I saw more from. hah hah

    ReplyDelete