Friday, April 10, 2015

DIY

I know, I never post this late (it is nearly midnight)! Blogger was supposed to post this earlier today, but there was some sort of technical difficulty. I hope you all are enjoying your evening! I am (impatiently) waiting for Toonami to begin (or rather Kill La Kill to...I don't watch Dragon Ball). I'm most excited for the latest Sword Art Online II, I watched it subbed but I am loving the dub! I'm hoping I can catch a glimpse of Kakashi on Naruto Shippuden tonight (though doubtful ;____;). If I don't...I can just place him into the show. 

Anyway, I am finished with my rambling! To the point of the post!! 

I am a huge do it yourself-er. Partly because I love a good project and making things. But also due to my frugal nature. I mean, why spend a lot of money buying something when you can easily and cheaply make it yourself? A lot of my DIY projects involve recycling things as well.

I am lucky (or rather cursed as I see it) enough to have a mind that obsesses and fixates on things. When I have a challenge, I obsess over it and can not stop thinking about it until I come up with a good solution. I guess this is where my creativity comes in. I get a lot of that from my dad. He was always thinking of random inventions, but usually someone else had thought of them first.
 
I love taking old things and repurposing or renewing them. At one point I was looking for a new way to store some of my less expensive lipsticks but also to make it easy to find whichever color I want. I debated for probably two days, then randomly when I was glancing around my living room the answer came to me. Use one of my dad's old car cases!

The back of the car case is mirrored and difficult to photograph. Sorry!!
                                          
My dad was very into racing and collected a bunch of cars. So I took a small case that houses several cars and put some lipsticks in it. It is the perfect size for standard sized lipsticks.

Another example, I wanted to clear some space in my jewelry box and display my favorite necklaces. I noticed that I could hang the necklaces from an ornament hanger that we had laying around. It was short so I took an empty breadcrumb can, spray painted it and taped the ornament hanger to the top of it. Voila, a cheap but effective necklace stand!

                                                 

I also made a bracelet display/stand recently. I needed a way to organize/display my bracelets. They were previously just shoved in a drawer of my jewelry box and I always forgot to wear them. I saw some stands on Amazon...but was SO not into paying $10-$15 for one. So I racked my brain and came up with this idea! I took a paper towel tube, shelf liner, a piece of foam board left from a home renovation and my trusty hot glue gun (a must for serious DIYers. I use mine all the time!). 

First I cut the paper towel roll until I had one large piece and two smaller ones. I glued shelf liner to them, then glued the pieces together. Next I glued shelf liner to the foam board and then glued it to the bottom of the stand. 

Look at my cute little kitty ring stand *^*
                                           

Lastly, another time I was looking for a new way to store all of my nail polish. I came across nail polish racks which were perfect: I could easily display my nail polishes and store them so I could find them easily. The downside....that shit is expensive! So I racked my brain and came up with a solution: these rectangular baskets (they come in packs of 3) from the dollar store and thumb tacks. Super easy, cheap nail polish racks!!

I apologize for the horrid lighting. I couldn't get a better pic than this :( this side of my room is dimmer.
                                               

I have made and re purposed so many items to fit my needs. A lot of it has to do with organization and display. With makeup and jewelry if it isn't organized or displayed a certain way I will totally forget that it exists. DIY is not only about making and doing things yourself cheaper vs buying it but it's also about creativity! You can make some awesome things, many things I have made I love more than anything store bought. The things you make yourself are truly priceless.

I know a lot of people don't have that obsessive brain curse or may lack creativity. Just go make an account on Pinterest. I use Pinterest for everything! Event planning, DIY, gift ideas, pictures, you name it! Pinterest is the best resource you will find for DIY. I seriously don't understand how I survived without that beautiful website for so long. Any time I want to make something or need something and can't figure out how to make it - I search on Pinterest.

From time to time I will post about my DIY ventures when they happen. Around holidays I can even discuss decorations I have made. I can also discuss some organizational tips. I can even show off some other things that I have made. DIY is really fun and a great way to save money, so I love bringing others the joy of it. 

Xoxo
Moon prism power makeup!

3 comments:

  1. Ha. This is good. A great skill to have. But I don't know about Pinterest. I don't use a lot of other names. Just for following people. Great article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the DIY skill sure beats spending a ton of money. Pinterest is really fun! I'm constantly on there. It's great for pictures and keeping things organized. I do lots of planning on there. Thanks!

      Delete