Saturday, April 4, 2015

Recent Animes - April 2015

Hello my darlings!! I hope you're having good weather! Thursday was a rare beautiful day. I'm normally not one to like warm, sunny weather. I actually hate the sun most of the time and prefer rainy, cloudy days. But we have had a never ending, very cold winter so I for one am happy to finally have spring! It was so warm out that I pulled out the shorts and took a stroll around my yard. I hope we have more weather like that soon. Sadly yesterday's weather was kind of gross. It was that "it's cold yet it's hot" weather, you know? Like it's cold, so I'm putting on a sweatshirt but it's hotter than Satan's armpit once I am wearing said sweatshirt. Then it poured on me when I was putting and taking groceries out of the car - so that was fun.

But I got to enjoy some super cute moments with my cats last night so that made up for it (I swear, the cat lady post is coming soon!). I found some cat meow notification tones on the Zedge app. One was of a kitten meowing, one of my cats who has had 2 litters and nursed a bunch of abandoned kittens before we got her started running around, meowing looking for the kitten. It was so adorable!! 

Anyway, to the point!  I thought I would start a "recent animes" series where I talk about some of the animes I've watched. I'll do it every once in a while, once I have accumulated enough to talk about. Most of these are recent, but I'm going all the way back to December/January for a few because I really want to discuss them. Any time there are spoilers or something may be a spoiler, I will note a warning)

Durarara X2


                                                      

This is the long awaited sequel to the Durarara (rararararararararararararararara) anime. I loved the first season so much so I was really excited for this one! There is something about the Durarara (ra ra ah ah ah ah ...Lady Gaga anyone?) series that is so different and I love so much. For those that don't know, Durarara (I promise, I'll stop the cheesy jokes xD) is about all of the crazy shit that happens in the city of Ikebukero and it revolves around a bunch of characters. There's the headless rider Celty, Shizuo the always pissed off/tough really strong guy, Izaya the information broker (and little shit), Shinra the doctor, Simon the Russian sushi guy, some high school students and a mysterious gang called The Dollars. Shizuo and Izaya hate each other, they're constantly running around the city fighting like a cat and mouse game and it's hilarious!  Trust me this show is very interesting!

(Warning: possible spoilers) 

SO much happened in the short space of 12 episodes so I'm going to try to touch on some main points. It was great to see what the gang has been up to since the first season ended. I felt so bad for Celty running from the police and pretty much the entire city. Next to Shizuo, Celty is my favorite character. She's really misunderstood and she has a very kind heart. Mikado had to deal with the Dollars starting to grow away from what he intended and move on without him. I wanted someone to beat the crap out of that little shit, Aoba who was trying to get Mikado to lead the blue scarves gang. I was so shocked when he stabbed him! It makes me wonder if Mikado is starting to go psychotic ...or if he's just starting to toughen up.

And that little girl Akane! I was so shocked when she tried to stun Shizuo but I felt so bad for her and her situation. We also got to see Simon and Dennis be kind of badass. I did not like Vorona at all. I wanted to see Celty punch her in the tit. I loved that we got to see some of Shizuo's brother,Kasuka. I hope we can see more of him in the future. Also the twins- they cracked me up. And HOLY SHIT the ending where Izaya got stabbed! That was insane.

(END SPOILER ALERT!!)

I was so mad when I found out the last episode was the finale, because it was so damn good! But we are supposed to get more in the summer! I hope there is more of Shizuo and Izaya fighting. I totally ship them. 


                                           

I want Shinra and Celty to get engaged already too!!


Death Parade


                                         

This was one of the most popular new shows of the 2015 winter anime season. Death Parade is about a group of people that work at this bar called Quindecim, but this isn't an ordinary bar. People get off of elevators and arrive at this bar....they are dead! They must play a death game to decide if they proceed to be reincarnated or tossed into the void. The people working at this bar are called arbiters and it is their task to judge and decide. The show follows Decim, the bartender as he judges those that have passed on.
I really loved this show and I hope that there's a 2nd season. I crave to see more. This show mixed a bunch of genres. At one moment it can be horror, another funny and then it could just rip out your heart and murder your feels. I am curious to see more about the characters. Especially the flower guy...what is his deal??? I also want to see how Decim does without Chiyuki. My favorite character was Decim. Look at this cutie!!

                                                       

 I also really liked Nona


                                  

Another


                                    

I watched this show waaaaay back in December/January. Someone recommended it to me so I watched it and I became totally hooked after the first episode. It's a horror anime sort of like the Final Destination movies. In this anime, there is a terrible death. A girl named Masaki died 26 years prior to the start of the show. As a result of her mysterious death, a curse is placed on her class - class 3 and every year the students live in fear.

At the start of the anime, a boy named Kouchi Sakakibara transfers to a new school...and ends up in class 3. He becomes drawn to a girl named Mei Misaki, who everyone treats as if she does not exist. He starts talking to her and befriends her even though his classmates and even Mei begin to advise against it.
Soon, the students in class 3 one by one die in violent accidents and Koichi discovers there is a terrible secret being hidden from him.

This anime was an awesome thrill ride. The horror and gore in it was beautiful. It kept me wanting to see more and more. I never saw the ending coming and was so shocked at the grand finale. It is definitely one of my favorite horror animes.


Golden Time




I watched this show some time in January, but I really wanted to discuss it! I loved Golden Time so much. I need to watch it again! It is a romantic comedy/drama. It's about a new college student named Tada Banri, about to attend law school. Banri has amnesia and is trying to get through his new life with no recollection of who he is. On the way to his freshman orientation he becomes lost and bumps into another guy named Mitsuo and they become fast friends.

On their way to orientation, Mitsuo's ex girlfriend, Kaga Koko comes along and hits him in the face with a bouquet of flowers. Koko is creepily obsessed with Mitsuo, Mitsuo went to lengths to apply to this law school in secret so that she wouldn't find out....she still found out and applied as well.

Banri eventually becomes good friends with her after many different circumstances. Their friendship turns into something more. But then, Banri meets an older student named Linda who turns out to be a former classmate of his from before he lost his memory.

This show sounds like a soap opera, but it is so good! I loved it a lot. I actually went a little insane when I finished it, not knowing what to watch next. I got very attached to the characters and found myself laughing and crying along with them.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A


                                                        

I LOVED the first season so I had to check this one out!

The first season was about a boy named Kaneki Ken who after being attacked by a ghoul named Rize (I love Rize *^*) becomes half human, half ghoul A ghoul is a creature that seems/appears human but they actually consume human flesh to live and have some pretty cool powers. He has to deal with his new life and adjust to it. Along the way he begins working a a coffee shop called Anteiku which is completely run by ghouls - but friendly ghouls who just want to live their lives and will only eat already dead humans. In this show ghouls are seen as monsters and the police to everything in their power to kill them all, innocent or not. This show had a great mixture of some horror as well as drama. Some episodes had me crying and I became so damn attached to the characters!

To be honest - there are things in the 2nd season that I totally didn't get. Maybe I didn't play close enough attention but I was sort of confused at times. But this season seemed like a mess of a plot to me and either I missed some things or there were plot holes. This season was mainly about Kaneki being a dick to everyone and joining Aoigiri, turning his back on all of his friends at Anteiku. At the same time the police are trying to crack down on ghouls and figure out who the ghoul with the eyepatch - Kaneki is. I did really like this season but it wasn't as good as the first. The ending totally destroyed me, and their choice of playing that emotional acoustic version of Unravel made it so much worse. Oh the feels ;__;


Cute High Earth Defense Club Love!


                                                    

I am so embarrassed by this but I still haven't finished this series! It's so bad how far behind it is. I really do love it but I keep forgetting to watch it! I need to sit down and marathon it.

This show is like Sailor Moon but with boys - magical boys! And they're pretty flamboyant and gay (yay gay!). The boys are high school students and they meet a magical pink wombat that tells them they are the battle lovers and must spread their love and defeat evil. It's in itself a parody of Sailor Moon and various other magical girl animes but it is brilliant. It's so funny! They transform with bracelets and even have transformation sequences and color coded costumes!

The enemies,  the student council are just as cute and flamboyant. I sadly can hardly ever remember the characters names but my favorites are Atsushi (the cutie with the glasses) and Ryuu (Pink haired girl obsessed cutie).


                            

I've also been watching Sailor Moon Crystal, but I've talked about that (maybe I'll do another review for today's new episode). I'm so sad that all of my winter animes are over! Now I'm hugely at a loss for what to watch. I guess I need to find a list of spring shows to check out.

I suck at summaries so I hope that these ones were fairly easy to follow! I highly recommend each show I mentioned. Hope you all have a wonderful rest of your weekend. If you celebrate Easter, happy Easter! I do yet I don't celebrate it. I celebrate with my family but I do not celebrate the religious aspect. That I may talk about in a future post. Even if you don't celebrate it, I hope you all have fun with your families!

Xoxo
Moon prism power, makeup!

5 comments:

  1. Good review of your favorite animes of the winter!!

    I had no clue you liked Anther? Good series that I like going back to watch since the intrigue is fascinating!

    Agreed with the shocking mid finale of Durarara X2 but we'll get more this summer!

    Yes, "Love making" magical boys club is something you need to get caught up with since the series ended some weeks ago.

    I've heard of Death Parade but I'll wait till the hype dies down.

    OMG you'll love the new episode of SM Crystal today!! Pluto kicked it into overtime!

    I should try recommending you anime sometimes! XD

    Again, good work with this! X3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! ^_^ I have the hardest time with summaries sometimes so I was kind of worried that my summaries were hard to follow. I LOVE Another. I actually need to watch it again! How many parts of DRR! are we getting? I saw something about 3 or 4 new parts total? I do need to catch up with the magical boys. Maybe I will at some point this week. Problem is I keep opting to read manga and fanfiction lately over watching anime. I think you would like Death Parade. It's a good and interesting series. OMG that Sailor Moon Crystal *^* I need to watch it again and write a review because that DESERVES one!! I am definitely open to suggestions, preferably shows on Crunchyroll (I can't really watch an anime unless I can watch on cable, the Crunchyroll app or youtube). I actually do need new shows to watch since most of mine ended. I'm really glad you liked the post, thanks!! ^_^

      Delete
  2. I saw Durarararararara X2 and Crystal. Despite still having a lot of time I don't tend to watch a lot of anime. Maybe it's because people are always home or that I watched too many I didn't like years ago. Anyway, Good reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually tend to watch too much anime. I've been trying to watch more American cartoons and non animated shows lately. Speaking of which I'm finally all caught up on Steven Universe! Thanks!

      Delete